Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

News that affects you

5 posters

Go down

News that affects you Empty News that affects you

Post by yang-ew Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:12 pm

Acofo: Being a professional Cordilleran in the Cordillera and regional autonomy
by: Julio Acofo (SVS batch 80´)

LAST week, I wrote that come May 2010 I will vote as an indigene. I am a Bontok - one of the major ethnolinguistic groups in the Cordillera. The reason is simple.
Indigenous peoples (IPs) of the Philippines have yet to be fully recognized as leaders and capable professional managers in national offices in the Cordillera Administrative Region (CAR). The recent appointment of Director Baguilat to head the regional office of the Department of the Environment and Natural Resources in the Cordillera is a most welcome development for all Cordillerans working in national offices. By Cordilllerans I mean the IPs of the Cordillera.

Again I challenge the emerging meaning of who is the Cordilleran? And this definition who is the Cordilleran is: the Cordilleran can be anyone who lived in the any part of the Cordillera for at least two years. I emphasize that this domicile-based definition of who is the Cordilleran was a provision of the draft-organic act, which was overwhelmingly rejected by Cordillerans in the first plebiscite. Thus such definition of who is the Cordilleran together with all other provisions of that draft-organic act does not stay. The second draft-organic act carried the same provison.

Again Cordillerans rejected it and consequently all its provisions including the definition of who is the Cordilleran. The most recent survey conducted by the the National Commission on Indigenous Peoples shows that more than 90 percent of the population of the Cordillera Administrative Region are IPs.

It was the IPs who rejected the draft-organic acts. The Cordilleran is the IP in the Cordillera.
In my last column I asked: is there any official paper or isuance after the rejection of the two -draft organic acts that categorically defines that the Cordilleran can be anyone who lived in the Cordillera for at least two years? If there is, then can anyone who has such official issuance show me or at least publish it.

A few weeks ago the changing of guards in the DPWH-CAR saddened us. Engineer Roy
Manao - a career executive officer and a Cordilleran was replaced by a non-Cordileran.
Manao hails from Natonin, Mountain Province. Above the speculations that Manao's replacement as a result of the lobbying by a Cordillera, still to this indigene, Manao's replacement is one of the obvious disregard of the managerial capacities of Cordillerans by national government.
For the national leadership to give way to the "whims" of politicians is definitely not sound. Doing so, is not preparing us - the Cordillerans for a genuine regional autonomy in the Cordillera. This continuing disregard for professional Cordillerans to head national offices in the Cordillera is not only divisive among us Cordillerans.

It does not prepare Cordillerans for genuine "regional autonomy", as those who fought for that regional autonomy for the Cordillera a provision of the 1987 Philippine Constitution. It does not lend credence to E.0.220, a legacy of the late President Corazon Aquino, who by all measures remains an icon of democracy of the Philippines.

Published in the Sun.Star Baguio newspaper on January 26, 2010.

Last edited by yang-ew on Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
yang-ew
yang-ew
Global Administrator
Global Administrator

http://Interactive Cordillera, Bibaknets@yahoogroups.com, Igorot

Back to top Go down

News that affects you Empty Re: News that affects you

Post by anitoe27 Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:35 pm

I am saddened that the news (transfer of Manao) came at a time when the people are starting to gain from the fruits of the President’s trust and confidence to one of our brothers. The Cordillerans most especially the people from Mountain Province felt so betrayed about the insensible decision of Pres. Arroyo.

How could she do this to the Cordillerans! To think even that Gloria Arroyo has been an adopted daughter to the people of Montañosa bearing a noble native name ,¨Kapla-an¨. I think she don´t deserved to be called one.

Last edited by anitoe27 on Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
anitoe27
anitoe27

Back to top Go down

Post by Saint Vincent's School Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:56 am

Politics seems a Big Factor, I can't even think of a Good Reason for this Screwed Government to do such moves unacceptable to the people. We may have representatives on the Government BUT are they Really our Representatives. Pati kailian ya tinagen.
Saint Vincent's School
Saint Vincent's School
Web Developer
Web Developer

http://s4.zetaboards.com/Igorot_Pride/site/

Back to top Go down

Post by yang-ew Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:17 am

Mng. Julio, Anitoe, Ryan and all,

As stipulated under Executive order 220(1987 by Cory Aquino) and Administrative order 36. I believe that the Cordillera administrative Region should be preceded by a qualified native Cordilleran. This is a law and it should be respected.

We the Cordillerans don’t mind it at all if this happens outside the Igorotlandia, but we are different because we are autonomous and we demand that this should be respected. We wouldn’t allow a Cordilleran to be kicked out of his own land in exchange of a person not even suitable, more so not a Cordilleran but just politically got his position. Will we allow this to happen? Is there any chance for Engr. Manao to be assigned in the Cordillera if we Cordillerans local and abroad should sign a petition?

Just a thought of a true Cordilleran.

P.S: Eng´r. Roy Manao is a loyal SVHS alumnus.

News that affects you Img0162c
Classmates and buddies: Eng´r Roy Manao and the broadcast journalist idol (+) Sammy Gerzon.
(I´m not sure what batch they belong. anybody who knows?)

Last edited by yang-ew on Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:40 pm; edited 5 times in total
yang-ew
yang-ew
Global Administrator
Global Administrator

http://Interactive Cordillera, Bibaknets@yahoogroups.com, Igorot

Back to top Go down

Post by tribo Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:29 pm

Under the provisions of Executive Order 220, the law that established the Cordillera Administrative Region, and which call for the appointment of regional directors preferably from the region. In this regard, there is no contrary in which the recent appointee should not be taken into consideration.

Though Eng´r. Manao was given a higher position to head the SONA projects as he knows the customs and traditions of the people affected by the projects, is there no other Cordilleran capable to be the regional director of DPWH other than Guilas? Baka naman mamaya pakitang gilas lang pala sya?

What good blessings will Guilas bring to the Cordilleras? Will his assumption as the new DPWH director correct the frustrating corrupt practices rising in the department or will he just be another burden to the existing problems in the Cordillera?

Just sharing too...
tribo
tribo

Back to top Go down

Post by julioacofo Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:25 pm

Below is a news article I wrote yesterday ( March 24, published today March 25) in the Sun Star Baguio which however I found out not yet posted on the web by the Sun Star. I used a pen name "roel reyes" with the permission of my editor. Please refer also to an email I sent through Yang-ew why I did not print your comments when Engineer Manao was removed as Regional Director. Hope you all understood my explanation.

This news article is my second (public) update on the Manao Case . And to all of you Ryan and the rest especially those abroad, this news article may help assuage our fears as professional igorots here in the Cordillera for now. But we still need each other's help and prayers. What happened to Engineer Manao is indeed unexpected, but we all, through this website can communicate and strategize together as global citizens and SVHS alumni. I asked Yang-ew to upload it for me. I lost two versions trying to "upload it. According to Yangew, I lost time. So this is a way to learn using the web.-Julio

Manao appointed DPWH assistant secretary

"EXCITED! Never expected it beyond my wildest dreams, truly God works in mysterious ways"blurted Engineer Roy Manao, when asked about his new appointment. Manao is now one of the six assistant secretaries of the Department of Public Works Highways. He received his appointment from Malacanang last March 19. Asked how he was able to get the appointment, Manao simply said "it was a concerted effort of people who believed in me" -the bishops, civic, political and community leaders, who admittedly, are close to Malacanang'."

A hands-on manager as described by subordinates in the DPWH, most Cordillerans especially those from his birth-place - Mountain Province can recall how Manao, a career excecutive officer, was unceremoniously replaced by Engineer Enrico Guilas, who is from Pampanga.

Local papers in the Cordillera critized the move. Some referred to Executive Order 220 which gives preference to indigenous Cordillerans especially to key government positions in Cordillera government hierarchy.

Accordingly, Manao' professionalism was witnessed by those who supported him to get his latest appointment during the completion of the SONA ( State of the Nation Address) projects, especially Phase II of the Halsema Highway rehabilitation project.

He said negotiations for road-right of way, Typhoon Pepeng, which inundated quarry sites, peace and order and the scarcity of cement as among the major problems he encountered with when he was still handling the Cordillera SONA projects task force.

A month ago Presedent Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo inaugurated the second phase of the Halsema Project at Mt. Data.-roel reyes
julioacofo
julioacofo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down