Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UPDATES: SVS COMPUTERS

4 posters

Go down

UPDATES: SVS COMPUTERS Empty UPDATES: SVS COMPUTERS

Post by yang-ew Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:35 pm

From an email exchange with two very reliable sources from SVS and Xijen Institute of TEchnology, we came to learn the present situation of the computers at SVHS. I was shocked to know that the computers being used at the computer laboratory are being rented by the school from Xijen Institute of Technology. That it´s mentainance and upgrading are taken cared by the technical staff of Xijen school.

In this regard, I have invited Mr. Joel Fagsao, to join us in this forum to further update us regarding the specifications and the present set-up of all the computers functioning in the school. He gladly accept the invitation to drop by as soon as he finds time to sit with us. His first hand information is much credible and will be appreciated.

In a separate conversation with Stela she added that the donated computers years before are not serving its purpose so they are good as junk. The school is hoping that some alumni out there will come to donate some units for SVS.

Last edited by yang-ew on Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
yang-ew
yang-ew
Global Administrator
Global Administrator

http://Interactive Cordillera, Bibaknets@yahoogroups.com, Igorot

Back to top Go down

UPDATES: SVS COMPUTERS Empty Re: UPDATES: SVS COMPUTERS

Post by d'bontokinian Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:03 pm

There is a possibility that those "junk" computers can be recycled for their useful parts; fans, cases, RAM modules, motherboards, cpu's, hard drives, etc. and assembled to build some workable units. That depends of course on the compatibility of all the parts that are going to be recycled. Then there is the problem in the reactivation of the windows operating system that's going to be used by the assembled unit/s, but could be solved by calling Microsoft's telephone access numbers. All of these actions are band-aid solutions, so a comprehensive strategy is probably needed in order to solve, on a long term basis, the school's computer equipment needs. This is where this site would be instrumental towards helping solve some of the school's problems. These are just some of my thoughts.
d'bontokinian
d'bontokinian
Global Administrator
Global Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by yang-ew Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:24 pm

Honestly, I don´t know much about the technical mechanics and applications of the many functions of the computer. What I do know is the amazing thing it does to people´s lives.

Based from your posting above computer recycling could also include both finding another use for materials such as donation to charity, and having systems dismantled in a manner that allows for the safe extraction of the constituent materials for reuse in other products. Now, I´m learning.. thanks!

YES! I agree with you sir that ¨this site would be instrumental towards helping solve some of the school's problems¨. May others realize the importance of this site.

Last edited by yang-ew on Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:14 pm; edited 3 times in total
yang-ew
yang-ew
Global Administrator
Global Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by d'bontokinian Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:28 pm

This site has a lot to offer for SVS, not only in serving as a means of exchanging information among its graduates and the school, but also as a means for the school to seek any kind of help it needs from its graduates and friends. Let's hope that the new incoming alumni officers are challenged, and realize and see the importance of this site.
d'bontokinian
d'bontokinian
Global Administrator
Global Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by d'bontokinian Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:50 am

Good job, Dione! And thanks to you we have learned 3 things: 1) that the real name of the association is St. Vincent's Alumni Foundation, Inc. and is registered with the Securities & Exchange Commission, 2) that there are presently only 3 school computer lab machines functioning with 3 units to be purchased yet, 3) that there are still folks who may need further "hands on" computer literacy lessons especially when it comes to surfing the internet.
As noted above, the school computer lab is in a pathetic situation and needs to be addressed. So how can we help here? Send cash contributions for the purchase of additional computers? Send to the school our unused or extra but working computers? Or better, send both? With these in mind, can we have everyone's thoughts or suggestions?
d'bontokinian
d'bontokinian
Global Administrator
Global Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by yang-ew Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:16 pm

d'bontokinian wrote:
As noted above, the school computer lab is in a pathetic situation and needs to be addressed. So how can we help here? Send cash contributions for the purchase of additional computers? Send to the school our unused or extra but working computers? Or better, send both? With these in mind, can we have everyone's thoughts or suggestions?

Sir, I think you just answered your own question, HAHAHA... UPDATES: SVS COMPUTERS Icon_lol UPDATES: SVS COMPUTERS Icon_lol UPDATES: SVS COMPUTERS Icon_lol I´m sure your extra computer is very usable likewise will help a lot, plus your cash donation can be use to purchase additional brand new computer. Muchas Gracias sir Bontokinian!!! hope the others will follow...

I suggest that we can start pledging for the purchase of computers. We encourage everyone to support.

Muy bien Dione!!! good job ading ko. Now I can imagine sir Bontokinian smiling this time, hehehe... UPDATES: SVS COMPUTERS Icon_bounce UPDATES: SVS COMPUTERS Icon_bounce UPDATES: SVS COMPUTERS Icon_bounce
yang-ew
yang-ew
Global Administrator
Global Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Saint Vincent's School Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:28 pm

All I can do is Recommend the Best Computer Sets for Schools
Saint Vincent's School
Saint Vincent's School
Web Developer
Web Developer

http://s4.zetaboards.com/Igorot_Pride/site/

Back to top Go down

Post by d'bontokinian Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:07 pm

Thank you, Yang-ew and Genesis for your suggestions. Genesis, can you elaborate more on "Best Computer Sets for Schools" in terms of hardware and software requirements? Would a Windows-based machine built in 2002 with Office 2000 installed be able to meet the standard school requirement? And how do the schools feel towards using open-source software such as Linux-Ubuntu operating systems and Open Office? Perhaps the school can help us here and I hope the SVS school authorities can join in the discussion so that those of us who intend to donate their used computers can be enlightened. I, for one, haven't ever bought a desktop computer set from the store. Instead, I bought all the individual parts and the system software and assembled/installed them. The other software I needed were sourced from the internet. So, if I were to donate this machine, I would like to know what software to retain, including the operating system, before "cleaning" it for donation. I have searched the internet and have found common recommendations, however, there may be other software that the school needs that may benefit the students.
Yes, Yang-ew, I can pledge a cash donation for the purchase of additional computers for the school. Is there an account intended for this purpose that we can send our cash donations? And come 2011, I'll bring some computer parts for the SVS students to assemble by way of a project. Have a good day, everyone. Sorry for the lengthy post. I'm excited from Dione's report.
d'bontokinian
d'bontokinian
Global Administrator
Global Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by yang-ew Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:15 pm

THANK YOU Bontokinian! I should love to hear from our expert Webdeveloper to reply first because this concerns him, hehehe... I just can´t resist the temptation to acknowledge Bontokinian´s prompt and very favorable response. With regards to your cash donation sir, let´s wait for Ms. Myleen or any representative to post the SVS bank account. While ´they do that,... ANYMORE PLEDGE????????

I´m sharing a part of my school allowance, 100 euros for the purchase of additional school computer.
yang-ew
yang-ew
Global Administrator
Global Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Saint Vincent's School Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:39 pm

For now it really doesn't matter if what is the built of Computers since it's lifespan can still provide education.Linux-Ubuntu as an Open Source Software is Good However for practicality and User Friendly Environment Windows Microsoft Applications Dominate almost Everything. It will be hard for students to cope up with the File Systems of Linux since it's using a Premitive Language System,therefore I recommend Microsoft Based Operating System.

If the School Decides to Buy a Brand New Set It will depend on how much would be the Budget.
Saint Vincent's School
Saint Vincent's School
Web Developer
Web Developer

Back to top Go down

Post by d'bontokinian Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:09 pm

On the subject of the school's computer lab, Dione's latest report indicated that there are only 3 working computers for the use of the students with 3 planned to be purchased. In order to provide the students more access to the computer lab and enable them to enhance their computer skills, additional computer sets are needed and a campaign for cash and material donations have begun. At this time, a cash donation is more convenient to send than sending used computers. Sending used computers will be discussed on a separate subject soon. So, if an account number for the purchase of additional computers has come out, let it be announced here so that those who would like to donate cash can be able to send them.
d'bontokinian
d'bontokinian
Global Administrator
Global Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by d'bontokinian Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:46 pm

I agree with you, Genesis, on the use of the Windows-based platform since it is widely used. I understand from Yang-ew's previous post that the SVS computer lab machines are using Windows XP operating systems. However, because the lab is being used by the students, it could be disadvantageous to them if they are not introduced to other platforms like Linux or Mac-based systems early on. I would like to hear from the teaching staff what they think about the use of mixed platforms in the school, i.e., the use of Linux-based and Mac-based machines in addition to the Windows-based machines already being used. I tend to favor the mix in order to teach the students to widen their computing horizon. On the other hand, the school's computer lab budget will surely be affected when other machines with different operating systems are introduced.
d'bontokinian
d'bontokinian
Global Administrator
Global Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Saint Vincent's School Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:55 pm

For Windows Platform and Linux their will be no Problem however for MAC it presents a Different Computer Architecture making it a Different Machine.
Saint Vincent's School
Saint Vincent's School
Web Developer
Web Developer

Back to top Go down

Post by d'bontokinian Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:22 am

Thank you, Genesis. That's true, Linux can run within Windows and Mac is a different animal as your colleagues in the programming world say.
Anyhow, I hope that the school authorities will consider some points that were discussed here to assist them in their decision making relative to the future of the school computer lab.
d'bontokinian
d'bontokinian
Global Administrator
Global Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Saint Vincent's School Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:41 am

For some Point If Linux Systems will be Introduced to the Students I Guess the Teacher Must Be Well Versed with it. I Myself have a Limited Knowledge on Linux Based Platforms Since my High Scool Day's we were Introduce Directly to Windows Platforms, In My Major's we didn't focus on each side of Operating Systems cause we are traveling between the Computer and Electronics World therefore we don't focus on a single Software.
Saint Vincent's School
Saint Vincent's School
Web Developer
Web Developer

Back to top Go down

Post by d'bontokinian Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:36 pm

Point taken, Genesis, on the Linux systems; that teaching the Linux system will depend on the teacher's familiarity with it. The same would be true on the Mac system. That would be another factor that the school authorities will have to consider in their decision making when it comes to introducing a mixture of operating systems for the school's computer lab. Thank you, Genesis.
d'bontokinian
d'bontokinian
Global Administrator
Global Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by dione selly chaokas Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:30 pm

plus one more gayam ay computer at the faculty room....
dione selly chaokas
dione selly chaokas

Back to top Go down

Post by d'bontokinian Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:23 pm

That's okay, Dione. The faculty machines seem to be okay, but the computer lab is not. Since the lab is accessed mostly by the students, there being more students than teachers, then likewise there should be more computers for their use. It does not make sense if there are more computers for the faculty than there are for the students. It is also logical to say that when trouble occurs among the school computers, it is expected that there will be more of them at the computer lab than at the faculty. So I suggest we focus our attention at this time on the computer lab, which is to add more working computer units so that more students will use them. I would like also to suggest that the PTA and the Alumni Foundation get together and help Father Habawel procure more computers for the lab because their children's education can be affected by the lack of them. Or would the parents rather want their children go to the internet cafes around town for their computer lessons without the guidance of their teachers?
d'bontokinian
d'bontokinian
Global Administrator
Global Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by d'bontokinian Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:23 am

So, what is the present status of the school computer lab? Are there computer units that are not functioning because they need replacement parts? If there are, kindly let me know.
d'bontokinian
d'bontokinian
Global Administrator
Global Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down